Thursday, October 29, 2009

Your church and the iPhone -AppChurch

An iPhone app for your church? Well...sort of...

I became aware of this app via another blog (ChurchCrunch.com) and thought I would check it out. I had seen a similar service last week, though there appears to be some differences.

AppChurch allows you to list your church for free, and then choose to pay for additional features like posting events and sermons to the app. Looks like a great, easy, and fairly cheap way for a church to enter this arena without having to take the time to develop their own app from scratch.

There are some things I noticed, however.

First, it appears that AppChurch merely lists your church in their directory and the consumer would set one church from the directory as their "home" church. Not a big deal, but don't think your church members would go the the app store and search your church name to find the app. So, it is not a "unique" app with your church name/identity attached.

The positive side of this is that you can at least get your church listed for free so that those who use the app might stumble upon your church if they happen use the app to find a church when they travel, or even when they move. So, nothing to lose on at least getting listed.

Secondly, I was unable to install the app on my device. This is a BIG deal. When I searched for the app from my iPod Touch (2G with 3.1.2 software) it did not find it. When I searched using iTunes on my laptop, I found the app and downloaded it. When I sync'd iTunes with my Touch I was told it could not be installed as it was incompatible with my software. Double checking, it claimed compatibility with 3.1 or higher (which I clearly have). Not sure what the deal is there . . . but this is a slight problem.

In summary, list your church, but try the app out on your device before you pay for their services.

Jason


So, check it out thoroughly before jumping on the "paying" wagon.

Jason

Posted via web from Cooper-ation | resourcing for ministry

No comments: